Africa is a mystic land full of interesting facts and amazing wildlife. The people there have a very different way of living. Tourists across the globe try to visit Africa at least once in their lifetimes. If you are amazed by this large continent, then educate yourself with some interesting facts about Africa.
Interesting Facts About Africa
- African continent consists of 54 countries.
- The entire continent, except Ethiopia and Liberia, was colonized by foreign rule many years ago.
- Before the colonial rule in Africa, the continent had no countries, but a total of 10,000 states with different customs and languages.
- Egypt has an interesting Pharaonic civilization that is one of the most ancient civilizations in the world.
- Around 170 million people in the continent speak the Arabic language. Next to spoken is English, Swahili, French, Berber, Hausa, and Spanish.
- It is the second-most populous continent in the world after Asia. It makes up to 16% of the world’s population. This count will reach 2.3 billion by 2050.
- No other continent in the world is as poorly developed as Africa.
- Around 40% of adults here are illiterate including 2/3rd of women.
- More than 25 million people here are HIV positive and around 17 million have died due to the disease.
- Since World War II, the deadliest war took place in the Republic of Congo. Around 5.4 million people lost their lives in the deadly Congo war.
- Very few people in Africa have internet conditions, lesser than the total people in New York City.
- Around 90% of malaria cases in the world occur in Africa, out of which 24% are all children.
- The Sahara desert in Africa is the largest one in the world and its area is even greater than that of the continent of the USA.
- No other continent in the world is as hot as Africa.
- Deserts and drylands cover around 60% of its total land surface.
- One of the most interesting facts is that Africa contains 30% of the earth’s mineral resources.
- Nigeria in Africa is one of the largest oil exporters in the world, in the fourth position. It produces 2.2 million barrels every day.
- It also contains the maximum amount of precious metals in the world including 40% of the gold, 60% of cobalt, and 90% of platinum found in the world.
- The maximum amount of trade from Africa happens in China. The Sino-African trade amount has exceeded $200 billion annually.
- Around 55% of Africa’s labor works in food production companies.
- 90% of Africa’s soil is unsuitable for agriculture.
- Some places get 0 mm/year rainfall, whereas some others get 9500 mm/year.
- Around 240 million Africans are malnourished.
- Lagos in Nigeria is the largest city in Africa.
- Seychelles, which is an Archipelago is the smallest country here.
- Madagascar is the biggest island here.
- Nile river in Africa is the longest river in the world.
These are many more interesting facts about Africa that will amaze you. Africa is a majestic land with many strange animals and rare phenomenon.